Tuesday, August 22, 2006

 

Equality

As I studied tonight, well, the night-time study is usually a low period of activity, a time of more relaxed times, well, I came to think, how the stereotypical society in which we live in, is well... changing. It has been changing for a while now I realise, but it came to me that the roles of men and women in society are.. more flexible, or so to say.

In times long ago, we'd see men acting the breadwinner, the one who works their hardest to support the family, while the kids are looked after by the mother. The mother would usually be the ones to stay at home.

There has long been a misunderstanding about the role of women in this period. Well, I remember reading about how, in a simple story of Jughead, and his family. How Jug and his dad had to cope without a mother. The amount of work a mother does at home is often taken for granted.

We tend not to appreciate this fact that in those days, the female society worked just as hard, if not, harder than the men.

The men, often seen as the breadwinner, is certainly the one to bring home the majority of income.

Equality is an issue facing our society. Not only in the workplace, but in sports as well. For instance in tennis, in the major grand slams, the prize money for the winner is now just about identical. If it was 20 years ago, it would not have been, it would have showed a superior paycheck to the men's prize.

Women in the workplace are still getting inferior paychecks.

Today, society sees a more balanced flow of income into families, with both parents often taking in a job.

While I may still hold to the stereotypical values of the past, I certainly do not stay bound to them completely. I acknowledge that the cost of living is simply making it unbearable on the single-income family to support that whole family.

I've enjoyed living having a parent stay and look after me, while my dad has been out doing the hard graft as a doctor and being involved in various societies and boards. And, should I ever get married, I'd do my best to be like that. Of course, if I ever were to get married, that would mean I was able to supply and income and, first and foremostly, be able to support myself. There is no point in me getting married unless I was able to support myself to prove that if I can support myself, then I'd be able to support the person I love and the kids that would come (if we decided to have kids).

Thus, thoughts of marriage, far far away, lol.. But it is always a dream of loveliness to imagine what it would be like to walk down the altar, and wait for the bride to arrive with her father by her side. Hehe.. It has been a while since I was the Best Man for my oldest brother's wedding. Had to bring that ring.

Sigh.

At this point in time of life, I have not only my family to love, but my friends too, especially those who stand by my side since I've met them, and those, whose company brings the utmost joy out of me.

I don't regret one bit of living now. I may regret doing the things I did in the past, but they are often vanquished. Why, I wouldn't know how to explain it.

Having grown up suffering from asthma, having travelled the world and seen the sights, having been able to live the lifestyle I lived, I am one extremely lucky kid. But then, I also have some of the greatest friends I would ever want.

The joys of happiness are hard to elaborate upon, perhaps one day I can speak upon these joys which I so claim.

For now though, I am not sure if this post is making too much sense. :)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?